[daip] AIPS user ID number

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 1 17:18:48 EDT 2010

Randall Detra wrote:
> Dear AIPS admin,
>
>  I have been working with AIPS as a new-comer.  I have finally gotten to
> the point where the program is asking form my "user ID number."
>
> I have checked the Cookbook and have not found any default for this.
> Nor do I have any such number appearing in the installation results.
>
> How do I get an assigned user ID number?

If you are coming to Socorro as a EVLA users, you will be assigned a
number to use locally here (to sepatate users on the same machine).

At your own site, use any number you want from 2 to 36^3 - 1 (~46000).
In fact, users even here use multiple numbers on thier own desktop
computers.  AIPS file system is rather flat, so you can use the number
to separate projects.