[daip] AIPS TV problem

Yoshiaki Hagiwara yoshiaki.hagiwara at nao.ac.jp
Tue Sep 15 07:58:06 EDT 2009

Dear AIPS managers,

I met the AIPS TV problem for the fist time on my LINUX machine,
which never appeared before.

After "error1" coming out, I put several lines below
under /etc/services,
following the AIPS FAQ.

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2

Then,  I still have only a message server on the display with "error2"
below.
But AIPS TV screen does not appear.

May  I ask how  this should be sorted out?

Thanks.

Y.Hagiwara

---- error2-------------
 >aips tv=local

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host localhost, user hagiwara
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1670 height 950,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0

---------------error1---
>aips tv=local

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 2 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 2: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 2: You are assigned TV device/server   2
AIPS 2: You are assigned graphics device/server   2
AIPS 2: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
UNIXSERVERS: TVSRV1 is already running on host localhost, user hagiwara
UNIXSERVERS: XAS1 is already running on host localhost, display :0.0,
user hagiwara
UNIXSERVERS: TKSRV1 is already running on host localhost, display :0.0,
user hagiwara
UNIXSERVERS: MSSRV1 is already running on host localhost, display :0.0,
user (unknown)
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

AIPS 2: Enter user ID number