[daip] "ZLOCK - No locks available problem.

Ishwara Chandra C. H ishwar at ncra.tifr.res.in
Fri Sep 11 05:18:18 EDT 2009

I am running aips on a 64-bit linux machine.
I am a full time aips user since 1993 and was also
'aips manager' for several years - this problem puzzles me.

My login is aips, which is installed on /home/aips/

I wanted to load a FITS file.
setenv DSK /Vstr/vstr/aips
and in the task say
DATAIN='DSK:3C321.610U.FITS' ; go fitld -
It gives this error on the main window:
go fitld
ZLOCK: No locks available
AIPS 1: Resumes
and in MSGSRV the following error:
FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC08) begins
FITLD1: ZTPOPN: DISK DEVICE = DSK:3C321.610U.FITS1 NOT FOUND
FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   2 OPENING FILE
FITLD1: ALSO COULD NOT OPEN DSK:3C321.610U.FITS
FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes

I just change the DATAIN path to
'FITS:3C321.610U.FITS' ; everything is fine.
The only difference is FITS is the local disk
and /Vstr is the nis mounted disk. However
aips can read and write outside AIPS;
since it is owned by aips.

There is nothing wrong with the data area definition.
I am ABLE to run PRTMSG and write message files to DSK;
but not to write or read FITS file.

Does anybody have the clue?

Thanks,

-ishwar