[daip] VPLOT elevation plotting suggestion.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Sat Oct 17 13:58:36 EDT 2009

I have a suggestion for an enhancement to VPLOT.  Priority is low.

When plotting geometric parameters like elevation, VPLOT plots the REFANT
values.  I tried to get a plot for each antenna by plotting the elevations
for autocorrelations and got very confused when all antennas showed the
same thing.  I looked carefully in the description of BPARM for what was
happening but it doesn't say.  I then looked in the code and found it was
plotting the REFANT.  Now, I see that that is described under REFANT, but
I missed that.  I suggest that some quick note be placed in the BPARM
description to point to REFANT.

Meanwhile, for VLBI, I think another REFANT option would be useful.  The
program now is capable of plotting more than one point per visrec
(multiple polarizations and IFs, for example).  How about simply plotting
the two antennas of the baseline separately, perhaps in different colors
or different symbols?  The average elevation is nearly useless for VLBI,
but the individual values are rather important.

Cheers,

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA