[daip] AIPS on a 64bit machine

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:39:24 EDT 2009

Bill Junor wrote:
> DAIP et al.
>
>     I have a dual core, 64 bit laptop on which I want to install AIPS.
> I want to do some development here so I need to build AIPS from a TEXT
> installation.  I don't have the Intel compiler on this machine ---
> although I could link to a copy of that compiler if I am on our local
> network.  But, of course, this means that I can't compile my source when
> I am not on the network.
>
>     The available guidance for building AIPS on a 64bit system is sparse
> so I have been exploring how to do this.  I presume that I can use the
> GNU compilers still?
>
>     I have tried to set up the Fortran and C compilation and link
> options correctly using gcc, g77 ... but when the script tries to build
> XAS it invokes
>
>    /usr/bin/gcc -D_BSD -DUSE_SHM -O2 -axWPT -c xas.c
>
> The option "-axWPT" is unrecognized so I presume that this is some
> option for the Intel compiler.  In which case, is the install.pl script
> in error (by assuming that the Intel compiler is always available)?
>
>     Anyway, some guidance on how to go about building the 64bit version
> of AIPS on my laptop would be appreciated.

The install.pl script understands that it does not know what options are
needed for local text compilations.  That is why it pauses with stern
words about FDEFAULT.SH.

The Makefile for XAS is another problem.  The editor we use on that file
knows to change the name of the compiler but does not know how to change
the options.  When the rest of the compile is done (or from a separate
window) edit the Makefile and do a make in $YSERV/XAS/ directory.

I build aips on my personal machine with the gnu compilers
primate<518>$ /usr/bin/g77 --version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-4)

$SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH has

       COMPSWIT="-c -fno-automatic -fno-globals -Wno-globals -Wimplicit
-Wall"
       case $COMPILER in
#                                       GNU g77
          *g77*)
               OPT0="" ; OPT1="-O"
#                                       Options for GNU 2.95.3
#             OPT2="$OPT1 -fexpensive-optimizations -funroll-loops"
#             OPT2="$OPT2 -fstrength-reduce -frerun-cse-after-loop"
#             OPT2="$OPT2 -fforce-mem -fforce-addr -fcaller-saves"
#                                       These are probably dangerous...
#             OPT2="$OPT2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops"
#                                       Options for GNU 3.2+
               OPT2="-O2"
               OPT3=$OPT2 ; OPT4=$OPT3 ; OPT5=$OPT4 ; OPT6=$OPT5
               OPT7=$OPT6 ; OPT8=$OPT7 ; OPT9=$OPT8
               NOOPT=$OPT0
#             DEBUG="$DEBUG -fdebug-kludge"
               ;;

CCOPTS.SH in $SYSLOCAL has

COMP="-c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
-I/home/primate/AIPS/31DEC09/INC -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DHAVE_LINUX_GLIBC"

LDOPTS has nothing special.

Makefile
# LIBDIRS_LNX64    = -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker
$(LIBR)/INTELCMP
LIBDIRS_LNX64    = -L/usr/X11R6/lib64

#LOCALOPTS_LNX64    = -O2 -axWPT
LOCALOPTS_LNX64    = -O2

#CC_LNX64    = /opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/074/bin/intel64/icc
CC_LNX64    = /usr/bin/gcc

(Note that my mail tool breaks up the long lines)