[daip] TV trouble on laptop with external monitor.

Susan Neff Susan.G.Neff at nasa.gov
Fri May 29 13:17:39 EDT 2009

Hi Eric,

I have just tried to start AIPS on my laptop, while connected to my
additional large
monitor.  I am having TV trouble.  I can live with what I have if the
fix is not
easy.

When the laptop is connected to the large monitor, I  get the following
messages
and no TV:

You have a choice of 4 printers.  These are:

    No. [ type  ] Description
     1. [     PS] lp17
     2. [     PS] lp32
     3. [PS-CMYK] lp9 - color
     4. [PREVIEW] ghostview previewer

START_AIPS: Enter your choice, or the word QUIT [default is 1]:
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the lp17
START_AIPS:  - system name lp17, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /Users/neff/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/neff/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1
   Disk 2 (2) is /Users/neff/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_2

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-M8wO9T/:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 3350 height 1078,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-M8wO9T
/:0
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-M8wO9T/
:0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
exi
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?90

When I disconnect from the large monitor, and start AIPS, I get a TV and
the following
messages.  I can plug the bit monitor back in and move the TV onto it,
but I cannot make
the TV any larger than my laptop screen:

gs66-thidwick{neff}2: aips

[...]

?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user neff
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-M8wO9T/:0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 778,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
XASERVERS: TEKSRV is already running on host localhost, display
/tmp/launch-M
9T/:0, user neff
XASERVERS: MSGSRV is already running on host localhost, display
/tmp/launch-M
9T/:0, user neff
?90

The laptop and external monitor have  1440 x 900  and  1920 x 1200
pixels, respectively.
It looks to me like AIPS is trying to make a single monitor with
dimensions somewhere in
between.   Is there a way I can override this, and/or force AIPS to set
up a TV window that
will be as large as the larger screen?

I'm running on an Intel Mac Powerbook, OS 10.5.7, if it matters.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.   I hope things are well with you.
I think you are taking off on a birding trip sometime soon, yes?

Susan