[daip] IMAGR channel binning problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri May 29 15:36:04 EDT 2009

Linda Watson wrote:
> Dear Eric and Eva,
>
> I think there might have been a little bit of miscommunication.  I'm
> still new to this, so I apologize if I'm wrong and this makes things
> more confusing.
>
> Just to be complete here, I'll explain our velocity averaging problem:
> when we attempt to do velocity averaging in IMAGR on the file Eva sent
> and using the parameters below, the result is an image with the correct
> number of channels (half the original), but the emission in each channel
> is the same and it looks like a bright, almost point-like source in the
> middle with a very high amplitude beam pattern.  In contrast, an image
> without velocity averaging looks okay to me, with the typical rotation
> curve pattern.  And strangely, when we do the velocity averaging in
> SPLIT (using APARM(1)=1, NCHAV=2, CHINV=2) and then run IMAGR with
> NCHAV=1, the image also looks okay.
>
> My interpretation of Eva's email from yesterday is that she was
> asking if the bad continuum subtraction of the source in the NE of the
> image caused the problem we had in averaging channels together in IMAGR,
> which, according to my interpretation of Eric's emails, is not the case.
>
> I believe Eric wanted to bring our attention to the fact that the
> continuum subtraction went badly for the source in the NE.  But as I
> understand it, this is completely independent of our original query
> about the velocity averaging.  Perhaps this is very basic and the things
> you are discussing are higher order, but I think the continuum
> subtraction went badly because the source in the NE is at a lower
> redshift relative to NGC 2805 (the central object).  Therefore the
> high-frequency channels that I use to fit the continuum for the central
> source actually contain emission for the NE source.  When I do the
> continuum subtraction, an over-subtraction results.  We are not
> interested in the NE source at all.  The over-subtraction does not seem
> to be negatively affecting the data for the central source, so I would
> tend to just accept it.
>
> I can at least exclude the possibility that aliasing from EVLA-EVLA
> baselines is the cause of the bad continuum subtraction.  We excluded
> all EVLA-EVLA baselines to minimize the aliasing problem.
>
> Eric, since I have gotten a bit confused, could I ask you to confirm
> once more that using the same input parameters as Eva sent (copied
> below), IMAGR produced a reasonable (i.e. not a point source with a
> strong beam pattern) result for you?  Since doing the velocity averaging
> with SPLIT works for us, does it seem reasonable for us to just use this
> rather than velocity averaging in IMAGR?  And finally, do you think the
> over-subtraction of the NE source is affecting the data for the central
> source and deserves more attention?
>
> Thank you both so much for helping me,
> Linda
>

> -------------
> IMAGR inputs:

> [...]

I took the parameters the Eva sent and drag-dropped them in my aips
window.  They looked fine.  Note that I did IMAGR with nchav 2 and SPLIT
with NCHAV 2 and made the dirty image cubes.  I then did a COMB where I
difference the cubes and then TVMOVIE on that as will as looking at
histograms etc.  The two results were identical to 1/1000 or better and
the pattern of differences suggested that IMAGR would likely be better
in that it knows about the freq difference.  Eva's complaints did not
make clear what you have just said but I saw no sign of it.   The images
made with 2 different compilers in IMAGR and one additional test with
SPLIT essentially produced the same results.  The sidelobes of the
source to the NE will cause you problems but perhaps they will Clean
away enough.  The images themselves did not look good but they were the
same with all 3 approaches plus IMAGR with NCHAV=1.