[daip] Ringing from BPASS

Ingyin Zaw iz6 at cosmo.nyu.edu
Tue May 12 17:32:48 EDT 2009

> Ingyin Zaw wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  The ringing problem I was having seems to be caused by POSSM (instead of
>>  the solutions from BPASS). When I look at the scan on which I ran BPASS,
>>  with doband 1 in POSSM, I see ringing in baselines to Ant 12 (VLA phased
>>  array), strongest in the FD-Y and GB-Y baselines. However, when I apply
>>  the BP table with SPLAT to the data and look at the same scan in the SPLAT
>>  file with POSSM, it shows no ringing.
>>
>>  Here are two files for testing:
>>  (1) BK114A_2145_BP.FITS: contains the scan on which I ran BPASS and the
>>  BPASS table (BP 1).
>>  (2) BK114A_2145_SPLAT.FITS: File (1) with BP1 applied using SPLAT.
>>
>>  Note: Both files have CL tables from previous calibrations. Applying or
>>  not applying a CL table does not change the presence/absence of ringing.
>>  However, if you'd like to use a CL table, please use CL 7.
>>
>>  To get the files, please ftp from:
>>  cfa-ftp.harvard.edu
>>  USER: anonymous
>>  PASS: <youremailaddress>
>>  cd incoming/lincoln
>>
> I am home sick at present but will look at this in time.  It is rather
> strange since POSSM and SPLAT both use
> exactly the same subroutines to fetch and calibrate the data.  Are you sure
> that you did not do something different
> between the two?
>
> Eric Greisen
Hello,

I'm pretty sure all I've done with SPLAT is apply the BP table. My splat
inputs (apart from infile and outfile) are:

sources ''
qual -1
calcode ''
timerang 0
stokes ''
selband -1
selfreq -1
freqid -1
bif 0
eif 0
bchan 1
echan 0
subarray 0
docalib -1
gainuse 0
dopol -1
blver -1
flagver -1 (note: FG table was applied when I ran AVSPC)
doband 1
bpver 1
douvcomp 1
aparm 0; aparm(5) 1
ichansel 0
channel 0
chinc 0
solint 0
baddisk 0

For POSSM, my inputs are:
sources '2145+067'
bif 1; eif 1 (note: Ringing is present in all IFs or absent in all IFs)
bchan 1; echan 0
subarray 0
antennas 12
baselines 0
docalib 2
gainuse 7
dopol -1; blver -1; flagver -1
aparm(0); aparm(1) 1; aparm(9) 1
codetype ''
polplot ''
solint -1
nplots 1
bparm 0

For one file, I set doband 1; bpver 1, for the other, doband -1.

Sorry to bother you while you're sick and hope you'll feel better soon.

Thanks,
Ingyin