[daip] Problems getting tv server with iMac

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri May 8 10:43:00 EDT 2009

I lurk on the "daip" list, having been a resident there for many years
(an equal number of years ago), but I think I can help here.

> Problem solved: I did not realize that using an external screen would
> add up the # of pixels... In mirroring, and with kern.sysv.shmmax:
> 16777216, it works fine with the iMac 24". However, I still have to find
> a good value if I want to use my other screen not in mirroring mode.
> Would you have a suggestion (both have 1920x1200 resolutions).

I also operate in 2-screen side-by-side mode with my Linux based laptop
and external monitor, and I don't like having the XAS TV ~3000 pixels
wide.  What works for me is to use a little-known feature of XAS (that
may or may not work on the Mac): set the X resources as follows:

AIPStv*xPixels: 1820
AIPStv*yPixels: 1100

or some other reasonable pair of numbers that fits to your liking in a
single 1920x1200 monitor.  On most Unix-based systems, you can just
stuff these values in your ~/.Xdefaults file and the system startup will
take care of setting them.  If that doesn't work you can do one of these
two things.  Either:

   a) Add the two parameters to your ~/.Xdefaults anyway and type
         xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
      at the command line to load them; or

   b) just type these four lines in a terminal window:
         xrdb <<EOF
         AIPStv*xPixels: 1820
         AIPStv*yPixels: 1100
         EOF

Then fire up AIPS and the TV will not exceed those dimensions.

HTH.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Webmaster (East), Computing Security Manager
 http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/          http://chien-noir.com/maze.shtml
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813