[daip] AIPS Windows

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 12 13:28:16 EDT 2009

Vinodiran Arumugam wrote:
> While using AIPS, I had to log off from my computer due to a display
> problem(which at the time could only be rectified by logging off and then
> back in...not related to AIPS). As a result AIPS was shut down without
> exiting and upon restarting AIPS, server windows numbered 2 were opened ie
> TKSRV2 and MSSRV2. Although this has no intereference with my work, I was
> wondering if there was a way to switch back to windows numbered 1.

The sockets used for tv=local are kept in /tmp.  Your abrupt shutdown
left those pseudo-files sitting there so a new aips tv=local got you new
socket numbers.  Do a HELP AIPS inside aips or a man aips outside of
look at CookBook chapter 2 - the tv= command has other bits of grammar.
  You could say tv=local:1 and it would use the pre-existing (or create
new if needed) #1 sockets.  This lets you have 2 aips sessions with one
local TV among other things.

You can do an rm on the files in /tmp if they are causing a problem.
They may not work on a reboot.