[daip] making msclean run faster

Deidre Hunter dah at lowell.edu
Mon Mar 9 11:11:38 EDT 2009

Eric or other AIPS supporters,

I am running multi-scale clean in IMAGR on a data cube of 2048x2048
images of a big galaxy. My test of 6 channels is still running after
10 hours, so a full cube will take many CPU days. I am wondering if
AIPS is using all it can of the computer's 5 GB of memory. My activity
monitor suggests that there are frequent disk IOs and that only 2.3 GB
of memory are in use. Is there anything I can set in AIPS that might
allow IMAGR to use more memory and less disk IO?

I am running 31DEC08, updated with MNJs, on a 2 x 3 GHz dual-core
intel MacPro with MacOSX 10.5.6 and 5GB memory. The 31DEC08 was a
binary installation.

Thank you for your advice.

Deidre Hunter