[daip] Question: aips on multiple core, shared memory pcs?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 5 13:34:01 EST 2009

Ian McHardy wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Many thanks for that speedy reply.
>
> Does that mean that we could, say, run two or more aips sessions happily
> at the same time on a dual quad core machine, or even that, within one
> aips session, one could run a few (ie more than 2) different aips tasks?
>
> thanks,
> Ian

Of course one can do that.  Frazer Owen in the next office has a dual
quad-core machine and usually has 5 or 6 aips sessions going (each with
its own local TV et al).  He does separate sessions so that he can run
the same task at the same time.  One aips session cannot run, say, 2
instances of IMAGR.