[daip] Question: aips on multiple core, shared memory pcs?

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 5 10:35:54 EST 2009

McHardy I.M. wrote:
> Hi Eric et al,
>
> Do you happen to know if aips works well on the new multiple-core, shared memory machines?
> We were considering buying some Transtech dual quad-core (ie 8 cores in total) pcs which share 16G of memory. Is aips good on those machines?

At present we do not do anything in AIPS to take advantage
of this architecture.  It is our plan to begin testing the
compiler options that allow it to go multi-thread and the like.
That said, AIPS runs well on these machines, utilizing the greater
memory when needed and letting the I/O be handled by a second "cpu"
achieving some parallelization thereby.