[daip] IMAGR memory problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Mar 3 10:20:35 EST 2009

Hanno Spreeuw wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I reinstalled the LNX64 binaries and it works fine.
> I am imaging 235 facets from a 285 MB dataset.
> When I set the MAXAP to 512 MB or 1024 MB it works fine.
> Of course, I should set it slightly lower than 512 MB, but I was trying
> a few different values.
> If I set MAXAP to 4GB I get another memory allocation error, although I
> have almost 6GB RAM available.
> This I don't understand.

I would guess that your OS is saving memory for disk I/O, your mail
reader, your browser, etc etc and for itself (most OS's are very large
these days).

I am glad to hear that the OS's do defend themselves - I was afraid that
they would allow you 4 Gbytes of virtual memory on a 2 Gbyte actual
memory machine if the swap spaces was large.  That would run really
really badly.

Cheers,