[daip] AIPS installation problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 25 13:17:30 EDT 2009

Christina Aragona wrote:
> Hi.  I have just installed the December 09 version of AIPS on my
> macbook running Tiger 10.4.11 according to the instructions in the
> mac installation guide.  However, when I attempt to run the program
> by typing aips in the X11 command line, I receive an error message
> that the command is not found.  I currently have a line in my bash
> file instructing the login file to run: . ./path/to/loginfile/LOGIN.SH.
>
> Do you know how to fix this problem?

Some investigation will be needed.  Start with
echo $PATH
to see if your $SYSLOCAL area is included.

Then cd $SYSLOCAL and do an ls.  There should be a file named aips which
is a link file to $AIPS_ROOT/START_AIPS.  We have had some problem with
Macs with this because on other OS's we have both AIPS and aips as links
and Macs sometimes have issues with whether these are 2 files or only 1!

It is possible that the LOGIN.SH has not been executed.  The
.bash_profile is the one actually executed so our Sys Admins set up
accounts with .bash_profile linked to .bashrc.