[daip] IMERG, and now IMAGR

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 23 15:48:50 EDT 2009

Lynn D. Matthews wrote:

> Thanks for looking into this. I did multiply by the VLA primary beam in
> some of my attempts, but the result was nonsense. The key was your
> padding with zeros. I remag'ed both images and finally got something
> with some resemblence reality! (although I get a scaling factor of 0.4
> rather than 0.13). I have another larger but shallower GBT map, so will
> now see what that gives, although emission running off the map is pretty
> much inevitable with Galactic HI.

But you MUST multiply by the primary beam - the interferometer only
images sky * primary beam so that is what must be combined.  Remember -
PBCOR by default divides by the primary beam - you must force it to use
the VLA beam and DOINVER=1.  You cannot sensibly combine HI running over
some large area with an interferometer single pointing.

> Meanwhile, I was intrigued by this new option in IMAGR for autoboxing,
> but in playing around find that many values of IM2PARM cause the task to
> ZABORS! e.g., im2parm 10 works, but im2parm 10 0 leads to the following
> messages:

I am glad that you are trying it - this option has worked a real treat
for me.  But I spelled out the option values: 10, 3,5,0,1,5.  All 10
would not work well (boxes only for >10 sigma)   I'll try again with
10,0 to see if the defaults are failing or something...

> wrest > IMAGR1: QINIT: did a FREE of     39370 Kwords, OFF -118893333
> wrest > IMAGR1: QINIT: did a GET  of    135168 Kwords, OFF -216990485
> wrest > IMAGR1: Field    1 min =  -10.8      Jy,max =   38.6      Jy
> wrest > IMAGR1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
> wrest > IMAGR1: ABORT!

are you on a 32- or 64-bit linux or is it a Mac?

I have hit bugs where the differing compiler placements mattered.

Eric