[daip] SPCAL question and problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 23 15:15:06 EDT 2009

Hanno Spreeuw wrote:
> Thank you,
>
> So the D-terms from SPCAL are not truly channel dependent. I guess that
> if this is required one would have to chop up the dataset, run LPCAL
> and/or other polarization calibration routines on each of the single
> channel datasets, apply the corrections and run DBCON to return to one
> dataset.
> Is that correct?

Yes except that DBCON will not make a spectral data set from individual
channels.  There must be some way to do that but maybe not.

We arte debating with the EVLA what needs to be done on this point.  We
could create a new table type and have it be BPASS-like.  But one
wonders if there will be adequate S/N to do such things.  And the
instrument does not require such a drastic solution.  What it will need
we do not yet know.

Eric