[daip] IMERG

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Jun 20 18:09:29 EDT 2009

Lynn D. Matthews wrote:
> I have a GBT map that I've created using SDGRD and would now like to
> combine this with some VLA data. Is IMERG the appropriate task for this
> purpose?
>
> So far, I've been unable to obtain anything useful from IMERG (e.g., I get
> something that looks similar to the original VLA map with some extra
> noise/negative flux in the region of the GBT map). This after regridding
> the GBT map to match the VLA pixel scale, adding the GBT beam size to the
> header, and converting the units to Jy/beam. I have done no corrections to
> the input (deconvolved) VLA map. Am I misunderstanding what the program
> wants in terms of the input maps?
>
> Incidentally, I have noticed a minor bug, in that messages report the
> wrong INNAME for the "HI-RES MAP" (they instead report the INNAME of the
> "LO-RES MAP").

There is a typo in the HI routine where it does a message about the
files.  That is easily fixed - but I do not know this routine well.

Perhaps you could send me your images and inputs and I will play with it
a bit to see if I can get anything useful.  I am not sold on this task
although something like this clearly needs to be done to merge the
images.  There have been bold claims about the equivalent task in aips++
- perhaps casa may have it.

Thanks,

Eric