[daip] AIPS hangs

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 19 12:10:53 EDT 2009

Adam Ginsburg wrote:
> Hi, as of a few days ago, when I start up AIPS it simply hangs after I
> enter my user number.  The TEKSRV and TV seem to start up fine.  I am
> not aware of having changed any settings between my last successful
> AIPS startup and the recent failures.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam
>

> eta ~/observations/IRAS05358/vla$ aips
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /aips/DATA/ETA_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called eta
> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on eta asynchronously
> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on ETA asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on eta
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
> TVSERVER: unable to bind to socket: Address already in use
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on eta, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-cZ16ek/:0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XAS: Using screen width 3830 height 1100,
>      max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
> STARTPMON: [ETA] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on eta, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-cZ16ek/:0
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on eta, DISPLAY /tmp/launch-cZ16ek/:0
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
>
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?2566

I can't think of much.  One thing I encountered when trying to read disk
files that were not on my computer was a situation that we never fully
explained.  I was able to get around it by going down to the lowest
level Z routines and removing any attempt at file locking of even the
most benign sort.  This suggested that there was some daemon needed for
lcking across NFS that was missing.  Note that logged into the offending
computers (a modest subset of all of the AOC ones) aips ran fine.

We found that a reboot of the offending machines magically fixed the
problem.  So try a reboot - maybe something is missing in the file
locking.  Note that the lock commands are supposed ot fail with error
messages but something about this situation just hangs instead.