[daip] Good Image Hunter

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 13 14:05:22 EDT 2009

Jones S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if you might have any ideas for this aips problem...I have  51 fields that I have cleaned and got cc's for, field 51 has a particularly  bright source, but when i enter this input to aips
>
>> ncomp =5,3,0,1,6,1,0,2,0,7,2,11,3,8,0,2,2,39,1,2,6,1,2,0,1,2,6,4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,4,2,0,0,5,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,7
>
> it enters this into the actual inputs
>
>  NCOMP         5           3        # comps to use for model.
> AIPS 1:               0           1        1 value per field
> AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
> #
> AIPS 1:               6           1           0           2
> AIPS 1:               0           7           2          11
> AIPS 1:               3           8           0           2
> AIPS 1:               2          39           1           2
> AIPS 1:               6           1           2           0
> AIPS 1:               1           2           6           4
> AIPS 1:               0           0           0           0
> AIPS 1:               0           0           0           4
> AIPS 1:            *rest 0
>
> for some reason it gets to the 36th component and decides the rest are zero, when they arent, i am assuming this is an aips thing...
> but when i use the ncomp -10000 which uses all cc's up to the first negative, it can handle the 51 maps fine?
>
> Any ideas?

The adverb NCOMP is only 50 in size.  We had assumed that one would not
want to specify a specific number of components for so many fields -
there could be 4096 of them.  I suggest that you use the FLUX adverb or
set NCOMP large.  I do not recommend cutting off at the first negative
unless these CC files have been compressed (which IMAGR does for OVERLAP
1 and 2).  Even then it is debatable whether you should do this.