[daip] Dec08 version of AIPS for LINUX

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 12 13:14:34 EST 2009

Migenes, Victor wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>

> I hope you still remember me!  Happy New YEars!!
>
> I am doing a sabbtical term at the University of Brigham Young in Utah. The general
> idea is to build a radioastronomy group. Just started work earlier this month. I need to
> install AIPS-LINUX here.  This people dont believe in SUN and most of the professors
> use Windows as their main interface for research!  Anyway, they use a version of Linux
> called Ubuntu 8.10. I think the version of the Kernel is 8.04.1. Do you happen to know if
> the Linux binaries you have will work with this flavor of Linux?  Can I ask for a CD with the
> Dec08 version of AIPS? (if possible both binaries and text).
>
> My new address here is:
>
> Dr. V. Migenes
> Brigham Young University
> Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
> ESC-N145
> Provo, UT. 84162
>
> My new email here is: vmigenes at physics.byu.edu
>
> Once again Eric, thanks for all your help!

I think you will find that it is easy enough to install aips over the
net - a CD (actually a DVD for Linux) is not required - we haven't
shipped one in > 2 years and that one was to Algeria.  BYU will be well
adapted to the internet.

Go to our web site:  http://www.aips/nrao.edu/ and then to the dec08 or
dec09 page.  Download install.pl and read the guide to install.pl.  It
should be relatively easy from there:

      perl install.pl -n

where the -n is for network (binary) install.  The load modules work on
all Linux machines and are especially optimized for Pentium IVs but run
well even on AMDs.