[daip] new binary install: AIPS asks for password

Lou Nigra nigra at astro.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 1 14:44:04 EST 2009

Hi,

I installed AIPS to my Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) laptop using a binary
install from 'install.pl'. I was able to start AIPS as instructed and it
asks for a password. It won't accept my user password. I can't find
anything about needing or setting an AIPS password.

I even enabled and tested SSH on 'localhost' in case AIPS was using  SSH
for something and that didn't help.

The only other thing was that during the setup, it asked for my cvs
password (I don't remember choosing to access updates). I have never
used or set up cvs on my machine, so I have no password. Here I entered
my user/root password and it failed and the install proceeded.

Anyway, a log of of my attempt at starting AIPS follows below my signature.

Thanks much for your help.

Lou Nigra

-----------------------

bhima:aips nigra$ . ./LOGIN.SH
bhima:aips nigra$ aips notv tpok
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /Users/nigra/apps/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/nigra/Working/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: Assuming TPMON daemons are running or not used (you said TPOK)
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a TV device or server
AIPS 1: You are NOT assigned a graphics device or server
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?1
Password:
AIPS 1: PASSWORD DOES NOT MATCH --- TRY AGAIN
Password:
AIPS 1: PASSWORD DOES NOT MATCH --- QUITTING
bhima:aips nigra$