[daip] Fwd: Use of EDITR in AL730 project

Barney Rickett bjrickett at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 23 20:24:09 EST 2009

Dear DAIP & Amy (not sure to whom I should send this plea for help)

I have followed the suggestion by Amy - but still cannot get editr to
add flags for my uv data...    as I described in my original email
below.

I used extd and tacop to copy my highest FG table to FG1 and then
used uvcop to create a  new catalogued file.

I then used edita to flag the many 'ty' values that were above 300K
in the copied file.  On rerunning edita the high ty are not shown -
evidently edita worked OK.  I then tried editr, uvplt and wiper  on
data from one secondary calibrator source (of our multi-source data)
in various ways.
I found that, even though editr seems to exit successfully and msgsrv
states that rows were added to my FG table, the points I had flagged
keep coming back in both editr and uvplt.
However, when I used 'wiper' I was able to flag points and they did
not reappear in uvplt or editr.   I conclude that wiper is working
for me but editr is not.

I then restarted editr on the data with the FG version generated by
wiper.  I flagged another clear set of bad points and saw that FG had
gone from 5 to 6,  but these points are still present in uvplt with
flagver = 6 (and also in a re-run of editr).

I am attaching a text file with the inp to editr, the state of
headers from imh and the output on msgsrv during the use of editr.

I aplogise for bothering you all with my difficulties but I am
stymied at present.  After very many hours trying to edit the 5 days
of data from the VLA, I cannot make the flagging work with EDITR.  (I
see that the number of rows in the FG table is now only 179.  I
removed all data from one antenna and see several messages "EDTINC:
TIC MARK ALGORITHM FAILED! CONTINUING." because the automatic scaling
algorithm failed, but this seems unrelated to the problem)

WIPER is not a good substitute because in a time plot it does not
expand data within our many short scans due to long gaps in between
them.

I realize that the most likely answer is an error on my part, but
cannot find it.

Any Ideas?
With thanks,  Barney (Rickett)