[daip] Problem with install

Kevin Marvel kevin.marvel at aas.org
Tue Feb 3 13:30:30 EST 2009

Thanks to you both...I thought I had selected X11 for install, but
obviously not.  Will
do so when I get home tonight.  Kudos to you both for your rapid
assistance, much
appreciated!

Kev.

On Feb 3, 2009, at 1:10 PM, Wes Young wrote:

> X11 is not be default installed.  If it ain't there, you'll need to
> install it from the DVD that comes with the mac.
>
> wes
> wyoung at aoc.nrao.edu
>

> On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Eric Greisen wrote:
>
>> Kevin Marvel wrote:
>>> Thanks Eric...that worked much better.
>>>
>>> Now I appear to be missing  libXext.6.dylib as the messages below
>>> indicate.  I
>>> have a Mac Book Pro and did install the Xcode extras off of the
>>> install
>>> disks...somehow
>>> I don't think I got everything.  The directory it is searching
>>> for the
>>> library does have
>>> libXext.6.4.dylib if that is of any importance.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the bozo questions...I'm becoming more of an
>>> administrator of
>>> late and less
>>> of a computer expert...!
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can provide on whatever timeline.  I'm
>>> not in a
>>> rush.
>>>
>>> Kev.
>>>

>>> kbmarvel:~ kmarvel$ aips
>>> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
>>> START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
>>>
>>> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>>>  (Using global default file /Users/kmarvel/myaips/DA00/
>>> DADEVS.LIST for
>>> DADEVS.PL)
>>>   Disk 1 (1) is /Users/kmarvel/myaips/DATA/KBMARVEL_1
>>>
>>> Tape assignments:
>>>   Tape 1 is REMOTE
>>>   Tape 2 is REMOTE
>>>
>>> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called kbmarvel
>>> START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on kbmarvel asynchronously
>>> START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
>>> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on KBMARVEL asynchronously...
>>> Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
>>> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority
>>> =   0
>>> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
>>> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
>>> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
>>> ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host kbmarvel, user kmarvel
>>> XASERVERS: Start XAS on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
>>> dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
>>>  Referenced from: /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/MACINT/LOAD/./XAS
>>>  Reason: image not found
>>> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
>>> /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 238:
>>> xterm:
>>> command not found
>>> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on kbmarvel, DISPLAY :0
>>> /Users/kmarvel/myaips/31DEC09/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS: line 302:
>>> xterm:
>>> command not found
>>
>> I see a couple of things that worry me - the xterm command not
>> found is
>> the more serious.  It suggests that XWindows is not in your path -
>> is it
> [...]

| Kevin B. Marvel, Ph.D.               Phone : W(202) 328-2010 |
| Executive Officer                            H(703) 660-9158 |
| American Astronomical Society           Fax : (202) 234-2560 |
| 2000 Florida Ave. N.W., Suite 400     E-mail: marvel at aas.org |
| Washington, D.C. 20009              WWW : www.aas.org/marvel |
| AAVSO Observer MKV                       CELL : 703-589-7503 |
|ALTERNATE E-mail: kmarvel at mac.com                             |