[daip] multiband delays

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 2 12:49:58 EST 2009

Mark,

You may be right if FRING has a "good" algorithm and the condition of a
good coverage of one Fourier transform axis (at least the right
sampling) is satisfied.
The following example elucidates the possible problem at CLCOR=> FRING
Suppose we have 4 even distributed frequencies IFs:

0, 1, 2, 3 MHz;

Lets CLCOR recalculates 1" shift to delay = 1.1 mksec

Then the phases in turns are

0, 1.1 2.2 3.3  turns (1)
which is equivalent to

0, 0.1 0.2 0.3 turns  (2)

CLCOR calculates the phase correction as COS and SIN of (1,2) and
obviously does not make a difference between (1) and (2)

The FRING (as I read at help) fits the delay at the sequence of the
phases using the least square. This algorithm may not be good enough
to discriminate (1) and (2)
Having fitted the straight line into the sequence of phase given by (2),
FRINGE will find solution
for delay = 0.3/3=0.1mksec  .not. initial 1.1mksec !!!

About your address to the mapping of a source:

The gap in UV coverage (df in our case) limits the maximum size of the
source feature (delay at our case)

Leonia