[daip] XAS trouble on an Intel Mac.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Sat Aug 22 21:49:45 EDT 2009

I have installed AIPS on my new Mac Pro desktop at home.  It seems to be
working, except for the TV.  It starts, but then there is one error
message and the TV never appears.  The login messages around where this is
happening are:

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC09 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC09) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host localhost, user cwalker
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 1100,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
AIPSmsg:  unable to open font "screen.r.12", trying "fixed"....

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number

I presume the line about the Shared memory id failure is the key one.

I tried aips tst tv=local to see if that would change anything and got:

AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: XAS is newer than XAS1 in /Users/aips/31DEC09/MACINT/LOAD
UNIXSERVERS: Need to delete XAS1...
UNIXSERVERS: Done.  Making hard link XAS1 for XAS...
UNIXSERVERS: done.
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1910 height 1100,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

So there was some messing about with XAS1 and XAS, but there is still the
memory id failure and no TV.

I have no idea what to do about this.  Any hints?

FYI, I haven't tested much, but FITLD, MC, UC, EXTD, CNTR, VPLOT and TKPL
all work as they should.  I need to try something challenging but so far,
all are very fast, including VPLOT, and only one of the 8 cores (4
hardware, each pretending to be 2) gets into the act (more for tkpl, but
they are probably under 10% cpu each).

Cheers,

Craig

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA