[daip] AIPS Installation on Intel Mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 27 18:43:09 EDT 2009

Michael Busch wrote:
> I'm trying to install AIPS on my laptop (Intel MacBook Pro).  I followed
> the installation instructions as given, and the install seems to execute
> without problems.  However, when I try to run AIPS the TV will not
> start.  This holds with TV=local or with the default.  MSCSRV prints out
> the following message:
>
> LOCALH> TPMON1: Begins on 2009.04.27 15:10:58
> LOCALH> TPMON1: ZVTPRO: CHANNEL ASSIGN ERROR FOR REMOTE TAPE LUN   16
> LOCALH> TPMON1: Unable to create socket.  ZVTPRO error     6
> LOCALH> TPMON1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL CAUSE number      6
>
> I am not conversant enough with X11 to understand what this error means
> or how to fix it.  What do you suggest I do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Busch
> Graduate Student in Planetary Science
> Caltech

This does not have to do with the TV but with the system services file.
The aips manager FAQ page:
          http://www.aips.nrao.edu/aipsmgr/
has information about the system services which need to be changed.

The TV is failing for some other reason which you have not described -
perhaps the symptoms will be found on the FAQ page or you can send me
all the messages that appear in your xterm as you start aips.  Note that
on Macs you have to start XWindows which will bring up an xterm from
which you can run aips.  A frequent problem with the TV is the shared
memory with a system file needing to be changed to allow adequate shared
memory sizes.