[daip] [Fwd: ACCOR output]

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 21 16:24:11 EDT 2009

I looked at the actual power levels in the BBCs for that run and they
were low, and variable, in channels 5 and 7 (higher frequencies LCP).
These are the power levels after the autoleveling and should be nearly
constant.  I'm not sure of the reason, but presumably the power coming
down from the antenna was lower than it should have been.  With low
autoleveled powers, the clipper levels will not be at the right fraction
of total power and you will see exactly what your plot shows.  Hopefully
the ACCOR corrections will do what is needed to fix things up.  There
will be a small loss of SNR, but I don't think it should be very bad.
But you might want to avoid using those channels as part of your
absolute amplitude calibration (ANTUSE in CALIB).

I checked a later run of your project and don't see any sign of the
problem.  I presume whatever the trouble was, it got fixed.  The system
does let the operators know about low power, but it is likely to take
site tech intervention to fix it and that would generally not be done
during a run.

Cheers,

Craig

Ingyin Zaw wrote:
> The expt was in Jan. 2008. Thanks,
> Ingyin
>
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, lincoln greenhill wrote:
>
>> Dear Leonid, Craig,
>>

>> Attached is a plot showing output from ACCOR (3 VLBA stations, 8 IFs
>> overplotted) for a 22 GHz phase referencing expt in Nov. 2004.
>>
>> We used solint = -0.25 .
>>
>> I have not previously see the signature shown here for OV, where 2 of
>> 8 IFs
>> show a rapid and systematic variation in sampler statistics.  Is the
>> behavior familiar?  Do you know what could cause it?
>>
>> Best, L.

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA