[daip] A question about AIPS for MACINT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 15 10:24:48 EDT 2009

Salvador Curiel wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I am currently installing AIPS on a MAC Pro Xeon Intel 64-bit
> workstation that I got a couple of months ago but I am having some
> problems. I transfered my files (including AIPS) from a Mac Pro G5 to
> this computer. The version of AIPS (MACPPC) that I had on my G5 MAC
> seems to work fine in the new MAC. However, when I see the header I
> notice that some values are wrong. For instance,
>
> 2000  --->  1999.99
> 0.05   --->   0.04999
>
> In some cases it replaces a number 9 by the symbol :
>
> In addition, when I run IMFIT and store the results in a file, the same
> changes appear in the output file.
>
> I suppose that these problems are due to the new architecture of my
> computer (Xeon Intel 64-bit). Now, I am trying to install
> the pre-compiled AIPS for MACINT on my new computer. It seems top go
> through the hole installation without any problems. I don't get any
> error messages. When I run AIPS it seems to work OK at the beginning,
> it opens all the windows and I can see the disks, etc. However, when I
> run any commands (e.g., upload an image from a FITS file) I get several
> error messages. For instance:
>
>  >go imload
>  MSGCOUNT IN FILE EXCEEDS MSG REC       771751936********
>  ZMSGDK: INVALID RECORD REQUEST = ******
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: go imload
>  MSGCOUNT IN FILE EXCEEDS MSG REC       771751936********
>  ZMSGDK: INVALID RECORD REQUEST = ******
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: TEXT FOR IMLOAD UNAVAILABLE
>
> It also complains that :
>
> AIPS 1: WARNING: TGET FILE HAS BEEN DAMAGED:********16777216
>  MSGCOUNT IN FILE EXCEEDS MSG REC       771751936********
>  ZMSGDK: INVALID RECORD REQUEST = ******
> MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT WRIT
> AIPS 1: TOO MANY PARAMETERS FOR COMM FILE --- SEE THE PROGRAMMER
>
> Am I getting these problems because the pre-compiled AIPS (MACINT) if
> for Intel 32-bit and not for Intel 64-bit? Do you have any idea how to
> fix these problems?
>
> I will appreciate any suggestions you may have!

I am shocked that the MACPPC load modules function at all on your new
computer.  The bytes are in opposite order.  After you have installed
MACINT, the software knows this and is correctly reporting that the
binary values store in your file do not make sense (a small integer on
one architecture is a very large integer on the other).  To transition
between these two machines you must translated the byte order.  There is
a stand-alone (run it outside AIPS) program called REBYTE that will do
this.  You must have separate data areas for the data in the old order
and the new order.  DO

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH      (for csh, or  . LOGIN.SH for bash)
$CDTST
RUN REBYTE

Try help rebyte inside aips first for advice

ERic Greisen