[daip] Friday afternoon Frustrations

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 10 14:34:47 EDT 2009

Stan Kurtz wrote:
> Dear Designated AIP,
>
> Hi.  This is a pretty minor point, but it's one that I find rather
> irritating, so on a Friday afternoon I'm going to indulge myself and
> write to you about it.
>
> I have an old version of AIPS around (DEC03 to be exact) and when I
> run LISTR/GAIN with docrt=132, it shows all 28 antennas on a single
> line with no wrapping.
>
> My regular AIPS (midnight job) always wraps the last two antennas.
> It has columns for 29 antennas, while DEC03 only has columns for 28,
> but if I put anten -29 to not show that last column (which never has
> anything in it anyway), then LISTR still wants to wrap, and refuses to
> put antenna 28 on the same line.  I've attached a couple of screen
> shots illustrating this.
>
> My terminal width is like 155 or so, but if I put DOCRT=155, then AIPS
> complains.  And if I actually set the terminal width to 132, it makes no
> difference.
>
> Is there some way I can fix this, so that I can see my CL/SN tables
> without the wrapping?  One solution, of course, is that usually there
> are a couple of antennas that are not in the array, and if I take them
> out via ANTEN -X Y Z (taking the total down to 26) then I can avoid the
> wrapping.
> This is not too onerous a solution, and if you tell me it's the official
> 'fix',  that will be OK.   For those rare occasions when I
> actually do have 27 antennas in the array, I can put up with the wrapping!
> But since older versions of AIPS didn't seem to have this problem, I
> wonder if there isn't a better solution.

I have putbck a new version of 31DEC09 LISTR which does a variety of
things better.  I corrected the DOCRT format which oddly gave extra
blanks after the source name causing much of the trouble you noticed.
But I also made it smart enough not to display antenna numbers which do
not occur in the AN file(s) or which occur with OUT in their names.

Allowing formats > 132 is a temptation, but the case statements now in
all print programs are already daunting without adding to them.  I think
I have made LISTR smarted and friendlier.

A MNJ on 31DEC09 on April 11 or later will get these changes.

Cheers,