[daip] task MOMNT

Violette Impellizzeri violette at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 8 15:47:59 EDT 2009

Hello,
 I have a question concerning the right use of momnt on an absorption
map. I tried different options to set the parameters FLUX and ICUT in
the task momnt (and xmom).
 From my understanding FLUX cuts the flux below a certain threshold,
whereas ICUT will cut the flux below if > 0, and above if < 0. Since I
would like to create a moment map of an absorption I set the flux to be
very low (-1 Jy/beam) and I tried setting icut to -0.001 Jy, all this
smoothing over 5 pixels. With these parameters all the flux was "cut",
which made me think that icut is still cutting the flux below 0.001 Jy,
i.e. the absorption I am trying to make a map of.
When I set icut to something very small (-0.02 Jy), I see the absorption
in the moment map, but it is also very noisy, because all the flux below
-20 mJy is still being 'cut', but it is still mapping everything above
including the noise.
Is this a bug in the task or am I doing something wrong? I guess there
must be a way to set a lower limit, i.e. cut everything above a certain
value?
Thank you,
   Violette

Violette Impellizzeri         National-Radio-Astronomy Observatory
      * * * *                                    520 Edgemont Road
Tel: +01-434-244-6811                    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Fax: +01-343-   -                        mailto: violette at nrao.edu