[daip] AIPS setup

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sat Apr 4 17:17:42 EDT 2009

In order to run some global programs - e.g. to see what tasks are used
how often - we must be able to go through the HOSTS.LIST file and
connect to the DA00 areas.  This process becomes prohibitively slow when
the lists contain non-responsive, usually unkown, machines.  So I have
looked at the current aips setup and have found the attached problems.

I hesitate to delete existing link files although the ones which have no
entry in HOSTS.LIST are clearly unusable.  There are also a number of
setup irregularities which should probably be fixed.  I hesitate to fix
everything without some helpdesk blessing and it may take root privilege
to do some of the operations....

Let's talk this list over...