[daip] FILLM message

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:20:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 00:31:47 -0600, George Moellenbrock
   <gmoellen at nrao.edu> said:

> Eric, Claire-
> Thanks for having a look at that archive file.  My guess is that
> putting it on my memory stick (a Windows filesystem) must have garbled
> it.  CASA also choked on it at the same point.  Does this sound
> plausible, Eric?

There is potential for screwup there if the filesystem on the memory
stick was not ext2 or ext3[*].  It's easy to reformat memory sticks to
ext2 if you want; any of our admins/helpdesks can do that.

If you stay with a single VFAT filesystem on the stick, you may want to
tar up your Unix files before copying them:

  tar zcf /media/Stick/foo.tgz /wherever/your/unix/files/are/

 - Pat

[*] an ext3 (journaled) filesystem doesn't make sense on this type of
    NVRAM with a limited amount of write cycles.  I've even gone so far
    as to make one memory stick have two partitions on it, one VFAT and
    one ext2.  That's a bit twisted, but it works mostly.