[daip] CCEDT and CALIB problems

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:19:51 EDT 2008

Andy Biggs wrote:

> However, I have another problem, this time with CALIB. I'm finding
> solutions *in between* scans of the source that I'm calibrating with. I
> have a multi-source file with alternate scans of my phase calibrator
> (~3-min duration) and my target (~25 min duration). With solution
> intervals of 2-3 min on my target things are fine. However, if the
> solution interval goes to 4 min I then start seeing solutions *between*
> scans. Not all scans are affected, just a couple usually, but the effect
> is noticeable in SNPLT in two ways:
>
> 1) The gaps which are obvious between the other target scans are not
> visible
>
> 2) The solutions between the scans are obviously 'not right'
>
> I've attached a postscript file that shows what I'm talking about. There
> are 4 and a bit scans shown. Each scan receives 7 solutions, but between
> two of the scans there are additional, discrepant, solutions. Looking at
> the solutions using LISTR OPTY='GAIN' confirms that the solution
> timestamp corresponds to the middle-ish of the phase-calibrator scan.

The times in your data worked out in a magic way with the rounding
outward done in CALIB to cause the last records in the first scan to
fall outside the 7th integration.  So it did another one spanning the
gap plus 7 in the second scan.  Remove all "rounding out" seems to fix
it so I have put a CALIB back with the rounding removed.

We will now see what problems prompted the rounding actions in the first
place.

Eric Greisen

I will look at the CCEDT and other issues soon.