[daip] Mislabeled entries in the AN table

Uwe Bach ubach at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Thu Oct 30 10:32:41 EDT 2008

Dear AIPS Team,

I just reduced a global 7mm VLBI dataset correlated in JIVE last year.
Only close to the end of the reduction, when I wanted to used LPCAL to
determine the d-terms, I noticed that the columns for POLTYA and POLTYB
in the AN table were mislabeled. Normally there is an entry like 'L' and
'R' for POLTYA and POLTYB respectively, but in my current dataset there
is a small 'l' and question mark '?'.

Non of the tasks was complaining about any mislabeling during the
reduction and I only noticed it by looking for the d-term solutions of
LPCAL in the AN table. Also the selection of Stokes RR and LL in e.g.,
VPLOT, POSSM and so on works. The small letter "l" might not hurt, but
how does the '?' affect the date reduction? Is the UV-Data labeled
separately? Work tasks like LPCAL, CLCOR (with PANG corretion)
independent of the antenna table or should I redo the whole reduction
with a fixed AN table? I hope not.

The total intensity and polarization maps, which I obtained from the
mislabeled data look fine so far, therefore I hope that it is just a
"cosmetic" error.

Thanks and kind regards
Uwe

Uwe Bach
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Radioastronomie
Radioobservatorium Effelsberg
Max-Planck-Str. 28
53902 Bad Münstereifel-Effelsberg
http://www.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/staff/ubach