[daip] AIPS timeout

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 30 12:25:44 EDT 2008

Anita M. S. Richards wrote:

>> Before running one of your scripts - enter
>>
>> isbatch true
>>
>> to aips (and isbatch false when it finishes).  If I read the code
>> correctly, this will pause a lot longer than 15 sec (such as 25 * 15
>> sec).
>>
>> Eric Greisen
>>

> Dear Eric,
>
> Yes, that has fixed it, or at least I have just run a script all in
> DEC08 with no timeouts.  I won't know for sure until I ahve done
> several, since the problem was always sporadic, but having said that, I
> could rarely run a script all through so probably it has worked.
>
> I do notice that I cannot write data back to disk in batch mode, but it
> is trivial to put 'isbatch false' before FITTP (and FITTP has not
> generally been timing out, that is OK).  From the AIPS cookbook,
> FITTP/FITLD seem to be the only disallowed non-interactive operations in
> batch mode.  Do you know of anything else, before I find out the hard way?
>
> Thanks very much for all your help in this, it is much appreciated.

You have brought up a good point - batch jobs should be able to read
from disk and write to disk even though we want to disallow tapes.
TVs, DOCRT > 0will not be allowed.  What I am still trying to figure out
is whether your jobs really are not starting in 15sec or what is going
on.  The prtmsg of the full session should show these breaks if they
occur.  Nothing in the task start-up has changed in a long time - unless
perhaps you compiled locally for 31DEC07 and are using binary for
31DEC08.  I cannot think of anything in your local setup that should
result in different behavior for 31DEC07 and 31DEC08 also.  I hesitate
to raise this timeout for everyone without some greater understanding.
I will look at the "tape" tasks issue.