[daip] CLCAL extrapolation, or lack thereof, with SELN

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Fri Oct 17 17:08:54 EDT 2008

Alessandra Bertarini reported to me that, when she uses CLCAL with
INTERPOL='SELN', using an SN table from APCAL, she does not get
calibration values for scans that do not have Tsys data, and hence SN
entries.  It turns out that only one scan on that source had Tsys data
on source OQ208 so CLCAL would have to make a significant extrapolation
from that value.  I have a copy of her data set (TASAV version) on
/DATA/NOATAK_1 in user 450 in
AIPS 1:   48  450 X_1         .TASAV .    1 UV 17-OCT-2008 14:56:32
I tried running CLCAL with GAINVER 1, SNVER 1, with INTERPOL = '2PT',
'SELN', and 'SELF'.  For '2PT' and 'SELF', the extrapolation is done (eg
Westford (18) at 0 23 01) while it is not for 'SELN'.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature as you might imagine that
'SELN' doesn't want to cross scan boundaries.  If it is a feature, it
should probably be made more clear in the explain file so as to not
confuse users like Alessandra (and me).

For now, I recommend that Alessandra use 'SELF', which is probably what
she wanted anyway.  Therefore this is not urgent.

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  575 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    575 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA