[daip] Issue installing AIPS on FC9

Chun Ly chun at astro.UCLA.EDU
Wed Oct 8 16:59:40 EDT 2008

Hi,

 I'm trying to install AIPS on my laptop, which has Fedora core 9.

 The installation went fine. I sourced the AIPS LOGIN .csh file. I had to
 fix a problem with the DADEVS.LIST file where a minus sign was in the
 path location (changed to a plus)

 Upon typing aips, I get the following error and AIPS exiting. All the
 servers did load up fine from what I can tell:

[chun at LOCALHOST ~]$ aips
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file /apps/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /apps/aips/DATA/LOCAHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC08 AIPS with normal priority
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
ZDCHI1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC08) at priority =   0
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:SPD000000;          NOT FOUND
 ZDCHIN: COULD NOT READ PARAMETER FILE
 ZDCHIN: (USING MINIMUM SYSTEM CONFIGURATION)
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width 1430 height 800,
     max grey level 8191 in 16 grey-scale memories
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0

 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?2438
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD1VQ000.1VQ;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
AIPS 1: ZOPEN: FILE DA00:PWD000000;          NOT FOUND

I'm not certain why it was looking for DA01, since that does not exists.

Perhaps I should delete everything, and start from scratch?

Thanks,
 - Chun Ly

P.S. I installed it before on FC6 and had no problems. Not sure what the
cause is this time around.

Chun Ly
UCLA, Ph.D Student
email: chun at astro.ucla.edu