[daip] AIPS ID

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 1 17:12:18 EDT 2008

Vinodiran Arumugam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a PhD student at the Institute for Astronomy, University of
> Edinburgh. I would like to obtain an AIPS ID number. Please let me know
> how I would go about obtaining an ID number.

If you are working on your own computer you may use any number from 2 to
over 43000 (36^3-1 actually).  In fact, since the AIPS file system is
flat, many users have taken to using a different user number for each of
their projects.  You need an "official" user number only if you plan to
use one of the public computers at the NRAO.  If that is the case, you
may e-mail helpdesk at aoc.nrao.edu and they will assign you one.
Normally, this will be needed only if you were actually coming to
Socorro to work on your data.