[daip] problem installing AIPS on linux

Anne Archibald aarchiba at physics.mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 26 07:47:50 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm not totally sure this is the right place to ask this, but I have
encountered a problem installing AIPS with the recommended install.pl
on Linux. I am using a Debian machine with a 64-bit processor, and the
AIPS install directory is on an NFS (but the data directory is on a
local disk). AIPS installation appears to proceed normally up to and
past the point of setting up the midnight job, but when FILAIP is
supposed to be run the installation fails. I can replicate the
symptoms at this point by using RUN FILAIP:

$ RUN FILAIP
Data disk assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.010
  (Using global default file
/homes/janeway/aarchiba/software/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /exports/scratch/aarchiba/aips/DATA/ELAAN_1

Starting up FILAIP (RELEASE OF 31DEC08)
    Copyright (C) 1995-2008
   Associated Universities, Inc. Washington DC, USA.
[...]
# interactive AIPS, # batch queues (2 I)
8 2
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: ZCREAT: FILE DA00:BQD000000; ALREADY EXISTS
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:BQD000000;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN
FILAI1: ZOPEN: STILL WAITING FOR FILE DA00:BQD000000;
 ZMSGOP: FILE DA01:MSD001000.001;      NOT FOUND
MSGWRT ERROR      2 AT OPEN

The FILAI1 and ZMSGOP lines repeat indefinitely every minute or so.

Any idea what's going on? Any suggestions for circumventing it?

Anne