[daip] new keyword in FITLD

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:35:39 EST 2008

Stefanie Muehle wrote:
> Hi Eric et al.,
>
> recently, a MNJ patch changed the keyword INFILE to DATAIN in the task
> FITLD. We first noticed this at our site (ASTRON/JIVE) after I ran the MNJ
> about two weeks ago. Now, as other sites are updated, too, the first of
> our VLBI users start to complain ... what are we to say? Could you please
> let me know when exactly the keyword was changed and more importantly why?
> Did I miss a communication with regard to that change-over?

The adverb INFILE was changed to DATAIn in the inputs of FITLD.  A great
many other adverbs were also changed.  The first time this would have
appeared was October 14, 2008.  If your group is writing code that
depends on AIPS not changing, then your group should make arrangements
with me so that I can know who to notify or consult before I make
changes.  Since, at present, no group has done that, I am free to do
whatever I think best for AIPS users.  There has been enormous potential
for error in string adverbs due to overuse - so that text files get
appended or overwrite user's FITS outputs etc.  I changed a lot of
string adverbs to attempt to reduce this problem.