[daip] questions about external hard disk and aips

Cheng-Yu Kuo ck2v at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Wed May 21 12:07:53 EDT 2008

         To whom it may concern:

       My name is Cheng-Yu Kuo, a graduate student at UVa astronomy
department.
Recently, I got a new external hard disk, and it has been reformatted to
ext3 so
that the disk space will be available to AIPS (It was vfat format). In order
to let AIPS
see the disk, I was suggested to copy the DADEVS.LIST to my home directory,
and add a line
at the end of the new .dades file as "

+  /media/usbdisk/aips/CKUO_1

Here, /media/usbdisk/ is the directory of the external disk, and I have
created two
directories under which I wish my aips data to be.

When I started up AIPS after these steps, I saw:

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
   (Using private file /users/ckuo/.dadevs for DADEVS.PL)
                   /media/usbdisk/aips/CKUO_1 is currently unavailable.
    Disk 1 (1) is /DATA/DELENN_1
    Disk 2 (2) is /DATA/DELENN_2
    Disk 3 (3) is /DATA/DELENN_3
                   /DATA/DELENN_4 is currently unavailable.

I don't really know why my external hard disk is not available to AIPS. Do I
miss any steps?
Thank you for your help.

regards
chengyu