[daip] What does CAL mean in VLBA archive data?

Simon Ellingsen Simon.Ellingsen at utas.edu.au
Tue May 20 00:44:49 EDT 2008

Hi,
	Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've downloaded one of my old
projects from the VLBA archive (I still have the original DAT tapes
with the raw data on them, but no easy access to a DAT drive anymore
to load the data directly from the tape) and am having some problems
with the basic processing.

The project in question is BE0014 observed in May 1997 and the archive
lists the type of the observation as "cal" rather than "raw", so I
assume that some sort of basic calibration pipeline has been run on
data?  Is there a description somewhere as to what processing has been
done, I've had a look around the archive pages and done some googling,
but not turned anything up yet?

The crux of the problem is straight forward - Running CVEL on the data
(the project was some observations of 12.2 GHz methanol masers) seems
to blur the emission.  The strong maser emission ends up being reduced
in amplitude compared to the raw data and sitting on a broad hump of
weaker emission which isn't present in the raw data.  It looks as if
the velocity corrections have already been applied either prior to or
during loading.  I've carefully checked the parameters in FITLD, SETJY
and CVEL (and tried lots of different combinations) and can't see
where the problem is coming from.  Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Senior Lecturer Physics & Astronomy, University of
Tasmania
email : Simon.Ellingsen at utas.edu.au
WWW   : http://www-ra.phys.utas.edu.au/~sellings
Phone : 6226 7588 ;                       Area Code : +61 3
(International)
         6278 8636 (Home), 6226 2410 (Fax)                03 (Australia)