[daip] APCAL can get temperature.

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Sat May 17 20:25:27 EDT 2008

When I try to run APCAL with DOFIT on with some of my M87 43 GHz VLBA
data, I get:

localh> APCAL1: Task APCAL  (release of 31DEC08) begins
localh> APCAL1: REAWX: ERROR  6 SOMETHING WRONG WITH WX TABLE
localh> APCAL1: REAWX: WXINI FINDS     0 ROWS, WX TABLE CORRUPT?
localh> APCAL1: TXTWX: ERR  6 OPENING WX TABLE   1
localh> APCAL1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
localh> APCAL1: localhost    31DEC08 TST: Cpu=        .0  Real=       0

PRTAB and WETHR both think the table is fine.

When I change to reading the external weather table produced by VLOG,
I get lines like the following from VLOG, probably one pair for each
antenna.  The times are about the times of the ends of the observation.
But there does seem to be a lot of data in the file produced.

localh> VLOG 1: ZTXOP2: /Users/cwalker/M87/BW090_Fast/BW090J/BW090J.TSYS
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 03:22.20
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 03:47.55
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 10:46.71
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 03:22.20
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 03:53.96
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO INDEX RECORD FOR LINE STARTING: 072 11:30.60
localh> VLOG 1: ***** NO UNIQUE FREQUENCY MATCH FOUND

When I run APCAL, I get:

localh> APCAL1: Writing SN table  2
localh> APCAL1: REAWX: *** NO TEMPS FOUND IN WX TABLE FOR ANT   1, LEFT AT
0 ***
localh> APCAL1: OV       RCP 0/ 8h 1m Trec (K):    83.77 Zen. opac.:   .065
localh> APCAL1: OV       LCP 0/ 8h 1m Trec (K):    86.65 Zen. opac.:   .063
localh> APCAL1: Plot file version    1 created
localh> APCAL1: REAWX: *** NO TEMPS FOUND IN WX TABLE FOR ANT   2, LEFT AT
0 ***
localh> APCAL1: KP       RCP 0/ 8h 0m Trec (K):    79.08 Zen. opac.:   .053
localh> APCAL1: KP       LCP 0/ 8h 0m Trec (K):    83.14 Zen. opac.:   .059
localh> APCAL1: GFINIS: number records used     142
localh> APCAL1: REAWX: *** NO TEMPS FOUND IN WX TABLE FOR ANT   3, LEFT AT
0 ***
localh> APCAL1: PT       RCP 0/ 8h 0m Trec (K):    74.06 Zen. opac.:   .034
localh> APCAL1: PT       LCP 0/ 8h 0m Trec (K):    72.72 Zen. opac.:   .030
localh> APCAL1: Plot file version    2 created

and so forth for all antennas.  Since 0C is not all that bad an
approximation of the temperature (except SC), this calibration is probably
not too awful.  But still, it should work better!

So what's gone wrong?  All this used to work.

I'm on my Mac Powerbook notebook G4 and last ran a midnight job on April 30.

I just tried a midnight job just in case, and got the following
termination messages:

AIPSUPD - ErrorFile is
/Users/aips/31DEC08/MACPPC/UPDATE/UPD20080517.225215.ERR
AIPSUPD - Using CVS for copying files.
AIPSUPD - calling UPDCVS
cvs [update aborted]: connect to mnj.aoc.nrao.edu:2401 failed: Operation
timed out
UPDCVS - cvs update of 31DEC08 had abnormal completion
AIPSUPD - UPDCVS failed, Status=1

Doesn't look good.  I did it from home.  I guess I'll try from work at
some point.  Meanwhile I'll send this message and keep using the April 30
version.

Cheers,

Craig

FYI, here are the input of the last run of APCAL:

AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INNAME     'BW090J'                Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'MULTI'                 Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: INDISK        4                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to calibrate
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray 0 -> 1
AIPS 1: STOKES     ' '                     Stokes type ('R','L',' ')
AIPS 1: BIF           0                    Start IF number
AIPS 1: EIF           0                    End IF number
AIPS 1: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to calibrate
AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Sources to calibrate
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to calibrate
AIPS 1:
AIPS 1: TYVER         1                    TY table version number.
AIPS 1: GCVER         1                    GC table version number.
AIPS 1: SNVER         0                    Output SN table version.
AIPS 1:                                      0 -> highest unique
AIPS 1: OPCODE     'GRID'                  Opacity correction opcode:
AIPS 1:                                    '    ' -> no opacity corr.
AIPS 1:                                    'GRID','GRDR','OPAC','OPCR',
AIPS 1:                                      'LESQ' -> fit for opacity
AIPS 1: APARM      *all 0                  Calibration parameters:
AIPS 1:                                    (1) -> B factor (def. 1.0)
AIPS 1:                                    Opacity parameters:
AIPS 1:                                    (2) -> ZA limit (deg)
AIPS 1:                                    (3) >=0  use spillover
AIPS 1:                                             correction
AIPS 1:                                    (4) > 0  use all FQ in
AIPS 1:                                             opac. soln.
AIPS 1:                                    (5) Limit to sec(z) plotted
AIPS 1: SOLINT        0                    Solution interval (min)
AIPS 1:                                       0 -> use all data
AIPS 1: INVERS        0                    WX table version number.
AIPS 1:                                       0 -> use text file
AIPS 1: INFILE     'BW090J:BW090J.WX'      Text file with weather info.
AIPS 1:                                       Must be ' ' if using WX
AIPS 1:                                       table (INVERS).
AIPS 1: TRECVR     *all 0                    Receiver temperatures (K);
AIPS 1:                                       in (R,L) pairs.
AIPS 1: TAU0       *all 0                  Zenith opacities (per ant.)
AIPS 1: DOFIT         1           1        Fit type (per ant.)
AIPS 1:               1           1          -1 -> no opacity correction
AIPS 1:               1           1           0 -> apply TRECVR only
AIPS 1:               1           1           1 -> solve for Trec using
AIPS 1:               1           1                fitting method spec.
AIPS 1:            *rest 0                         in OPCODE; then apply
AIPS 1: PRTLEV        0                    Print level
AIPS 1: DOTV         -1                    TV selection (<0 -> PL file)
AIPS 1: LTYPE         3                    Plot labeling
AIPS 1: GRCHAN        0                    TV Graphics channel to use

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA