[daip] Bad handling of multiple spacecraft?

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Fri May 9 11:58:57 EDT 2008

In our recent salvo of spacecraft tracking tests, two different spacecraft
were observed in the same observation, yielding FITS files containing
spacecraft orbit tables containing two spacecraft.  In the particular
case, the table entries for the two spacecraft have identical time tags
(not sure if this is relevant to the problem or not).  In AIPS, only 1 of
the spacecraft appears in the table.  PRTAB does not indicate which
spacecraft it is, but it is clear from the X,Y,Z values that only one
spacecraft is present.  There is concern that some of the subtle
corrections made by UVFIX, CLCOR, or other??? programs may not be doing
the right thing as a result.  We are not exactly sure which AIPS tasks
access the table.

A FITS file is available : /home/swc/difx/projects/ts022b/TS022B.FITS

Please keep Vivek and Ed in the responses to this.  Thanks,

Walter