[daip] XAS on intel mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 17 11:25:35 EDT 2008

Juan Uson wrote:

> Hi Eric and Wes,
>
> The XAS works if I start aips with tv=local although not if I do not
> state it or if I say tv=seco (it still opens XAS and a message window
> but does not talk to them afterwards.  For example "tvinit"  gives me
> the "UNKNOWN HOST  ZSSSLK: ERROR 2 ON LOCK message).  In any case, I can
> use tv=local.

Clearly, your machine does not have proper lookup tables to translate
host names including its own.  Surely this is correctable although I am
ignorant about such systems details.

> My screen is 1440 x 900 but it starts the XAS stating that it uses
> screen width height 1430 778, max grey level 255.  It used to keep 100
> rows in the previous (Power PC) incarnation.  Is there a way to get more
> rows?  Given that our images are usually square, I would rather give up
> some more columns instead of 122 rows if at all possible.  Is there a
> table that controls the screen dimensions?

There are .Xdefaults parameters that allow you to control the screen
size - see HELP XAS for details.

You can test more about the message server and Tek server by copying
$SYSUNIX files XASERVERS and UNIXSERVERS to $SYSLOCAL and removing the
comment symbol (#) from the lines having -hold in them.  Then the xterms
will hang around until you kill them and all messages from the OS and
the programs running inside them will remain visible.  XASERVERS is used
for Inet servers (default and tv=seco) and UNIXSERVERS is used for Unix
sockets (tv=local).  If your desktop/laptop is only talking to itself,
the Unix sockets is really a better way to go anyway.