[daip] retiring workstation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 13 15:38:10 EDT 2008

Neal Miller wrote:
> Thanks, Eric.
>
> These are both Linux boxes, so that does simplify things. If
> I'm using the same user number on each machine, will that
> cause problems? That was why I was thinking if I could somehow
> make the data on the old machine correspond to a disk 2 on
> the new machine, it would be preferable. To do that, I'd
> need to modify some files like DADEVS and such, wouldn't I?
> Specifics on which files, and preferred naming of the data
> disks, would be very helpful.

If you have already started using the new machine, yes there
is a problem.  You can certainly make a second disk area on
newmachine and copy the files from oldmachine_1 to newmachine_2.
What you lose are your old SAVE/GET files. TPUT/TGET files, message
files, and the like.  That may not matter to you, in which case, go
right ahead.

The files to edit are $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP.