[daip] retiring workstation

Neal Miller nmiller at skysrv.pha.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:36:33 EDT 2008

Hi. I'm hoping this is a question with a simple solution.
I will be retiring a workstation that has a workstation
installation of AIPS. I have AIPS installed on a new
workstation, and each machine has separate AIPS installations
and files. I'd like to move my AIPS data from the old machine
to the new with minimal effort, and wanted to know the best
procedure. My guess is that I should be able to simply FTP
data from the old machine to the new, for example (calling
the older computer OLDMACHINE and the new NEWMACHINE):

create directory on new computer:
   $AIPSROOT/DATA/OLDMACHINE_1

move all files from old computer in its
$AIPSROOT/DATA/OLDMACHINE_1 directory over to the same
name directory on the new computer

define OLDMACHINE_1 data area as a separate disk on the
AIPS installation of the new computer

Thanks for any suggestions and input!

Neal