[daip] Error in AIPS task FILLM for polarimetry data

Amanda Kepley kepley at astro.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 13 10:45:27 EDT 2008

Hi,

I recently received an email about the errors in the AIPS FILLM task
for polarimetry data. Although it looks like I'm not affected by the
MODCOMP turn off problem since my data were all taken prior to June
27, 2007, I am not quite sure if I'm affected by second problem
mentioned in the email:  "The problem also affects data obtained in
the Modcomp-era that are loaded as correlation coefficients by FILLM,
where FILLM has had to "undo" the on-line nominal sensitivity
scaling."  It seems like this is mostly a problem with solar data,
but I thought I'd double-check to make sure. I usually load the data
with doweight=10 and douvcomp false. Below is an example of a typical
FILLM I use for my data. My correlators setup is 2 IFs of 50 MHz each.

Cheers,

Amanda

----------------------------
Amanda Kepley
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Astronomy
Tel: (608) 263-1460
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~kepley
----------------------------

AIPS 1: FILLM     Task to read a VLA archive tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Tape drive number
AIPS 1: INFILE     'N1569DATA:AM643_'      Non-blank: disk file name
AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    Number of files to advance
AIPS 1:                                    Also applies to ON-LINE!
AIPS 1: BAND       ' '                     Freq. band (4,P,L,C,X,U,K,Q)
AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 1: CALCODE    ' '                     Calibrator code
AIPS 1: VLAOBS     'AM643'                 VLA obs. pgm. name ('AZ99')
AIPS 1: VLAMODE    ' '                     VLA obs. mode ('  '=any)
AIPS 1: REFDATE    ' '                     Reference date. 'yyyymmdd'
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Timerange selected
AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    First spectral channel
AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest spectral channel
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'AM634_1'               Output UV file name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        0                    Output UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       1                    Output UV file disk unit #.
AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP     -1                    1 (T) => compressed data
AIPS 1: DOALL         1                    1 (T) => write all data.
AIPS 1: DOCONCAT     -1                    1 (T) => append data to old
AIPS 1:                                    files
AIPS 1: NCOUNT        1                    Number of files to read
AIPS 1: DOWEIGHT     10                    Use nominal sensitivity to
AIPS 1:                                    scale weights?
AIPS 1:                                    = 10, use Memo 108 weights
AIPS 1: DOACOR       -1                    Load autocorrelation data?
AIPS 1: CPARM         0           0        User options.
AIPS 1:               0           0        1 => Avg. time (seconds)
AIPS 1:               0           0        2 => bitmap    (see help)
AIPS 1:               0           0.1           = 16 for planets & Sun
AIPS 1:               0           0        3 => Max. OK IF status
AIPS 1:                                         <=3 => 3
AIPS 1:                                    4 => Control dropping of
AIPS 1:                                         shadowed data
AIPS 1:                                         < 0 => no shadow check
AIPS 1:                                         0 => 25 m limit
AIPS 1:                                         > 0 => Shadow limit is
AIPS 1:                                               CPARM(4) in meters
AIPS 1:                                    5 = channel code (see HELP)
AIPS 1:                                    6 => Subarray number-see HELP
AIPS 1:                                    7 => FQ entry tolerance (kHz)
AIPS 1:                                         (see HELP)
AIPS 1:                                    8 => CL table time incr. min
AIPS 1:                                    9 => TY table time incr. min
AIPS 1:                                    10=> Calibrator avg. time
AIPS 1: DPARM      *all 0                  Selection by Frequency
AIPS 1:                                    1+2 => A Frequency (Hz)
AIPS 1:                                    3+4 => B Frequency (Hz)
AIPS 1:                                    5+6 => C Frequency (Hz)
AIPS 1:                                    7+8 => D Frequency (Hz)
AIPS 1:                                    9 => tolerance for A&C
AIPS 1:                                    10 => tolerance for B&D
AIPS 1: BPARM      *all 0                  Opacity and Gain curve
AIPS 1:                                    control (see help)
AIPS 1: IN2FILE    *all ' '                Antenna gains file