[daip] CALIB issue?

Bill Junor bjunor at lanl.gov
Thu Jun 26 10:58:12 EDT 2008

Hi Eric.

    Well ... it's not that I have let the times get too large ... it's
that this is a multi-epoch VLBA experiment over half a year so that we
can improve the SNR.  And my guess would be that the VLBA is going to be
doing more of this sort of stuff anyway.  Craig and I have similar
multi-epoch experiments from 2004 --- 3C120 and 3C274.

    As of last week, the NX table read was able to do the correct thing.
I don't believe that I have changed any of the steering parameters in a
substantial way but, with Real*4, it's probably not going to take much.

    Precision must be something like a part in 2^23 for IEEE so 1 in
8.4*10^6 and therefore over 365 days that means "granularity" must be
worse than 3.8 seconds for routines to get the right timestamp.  So, I
should point out that not only do I have multiple epochs over 6 months,
I can't average the data up beyond 2 seconds to avoid time average
smearing in the extended structure.

    Any suggestions how to work around the problem just now?

                                       Bill